Honda Fury Forums: banner

WTF?

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  NMUCat 
#1 ·
Is this true? I was reading my Dennis Kirk catalog last night and I saw RC Component wheels listed for the Fury...But to my dismay they listed 18"x5.5" for the rear? Is this a misprint?

I know that the Fury's 6.25" rear wheel is not industry standard but I didn't see this fact ever being pointed out by RC on their earlier posts.

#3 ·
So the wheel isn't truly made for the fury then and ported over from another bike or installation? & can you offer a version that is 18 x 7"? To fit a wider tire on the back?... Possibly a 240...

#4 ·
I liked the RC wheel designs but when I found out there is no wheel the same size as stock for the rear, my decision was made, chrome the factory rims. That's not cheap at AU $ 550 a wheel but still much cheaper than a set from RC.

There must be a good reason why Honda went with a "non Standard" size for the rear. Does anyone know?

#5 · (Edited)
I liked the RC wheel designs but when I found out there is no wheel the same size as stock for the rear, my decision was made, chrome the factory rims.
I would have done the same thing. Love the RC quality (currently own a set) but paying more for a skinnier wheel does not fly. I think it was just wrong that no one pointed it out that this was the case. RC would absolutely be my first choice if going 250 with a 18x8.5 but not 200, just my opinion.

#6 ·
I'm with you, paying so much for a set of after market wheels that are narrower than stock is crazy. We want at least the same or wider.

The big advantage to chroming the stock wheels is that everything fits and you don't alter the balance of the bike. From what I can find out when you go wider than 200 the bike gets harder to turn. A 250 still looks awesome though.

#9 ·
Richard, Are you sure its exhaust shoot? You may find and I got a feeling it might be brake dust. I think these pads are very soft and wearing a little funny causing this condition. I was in the hunt for a harder replacement or metallic pad to try but have yet to find one. I modified a caliper cover for the front that covers the whole caliper and has help hold down the brake dust on the front wheel but have not found anything for a cover on the rear that completely covers the rear caliper and hopefully will help hold down the brake dust a little more and of the rear wheel. Just a thought and you might want to take a little closer look at it.

#12 ·
Yep, I will have to agree with Dave, because I noticed it even on my stock wheel before I ever got the cobra exhaust. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get soot from the Cobras, but I guarantee that you will definitely get brake dust. I rode my bike over 150 miles this weekend and still haven't cleaned the mud off of it that has been on there since the middle of winter. I love to keep my bike clean, but I'm not going to worry about it until the Spring showers go away. I figure, why clean it when the very next time I ride it, it's going to be filthy again? When the weather straightens out, then I'll worry about keeping it spotless.

#13 ·
I think once Kuryakyn or someone comes up with a chrome cover that completely encloses the the caliper you will see that it will helps hold down the dust off the wheels and contain it to the caliper area only. I had front chrome caliper cover hanging around the garage that came off a vtx that I adapted to the front caliper and it really helped out a lot. I was looking for something for the back to do the same and I'm kind of sshocked and surprised such a simple part isn't available yet. The kuryakyn covers presently don't cover much so they are really not worth putting on. I have a couple in mind that might have a chance to be of modified to fit but I can't see spending the money to hack one up just to try.

Attachments

#22 ·
This is the first I'm hearing that RC offers two rear sizes for the Fury. I have the Savages in 5.5" and they look and handle fine with the stock tire, but RC didn't offer a 6.25" option when I bought them a few months ago. That sucks big time because I would've rather stayed stock size if I had the choice. RC...any way you can make this right? I paid a lot of money for a thinner wheel and can't figure out why.

I did, however, talk to Kosman the other day about sending my RC rear to them for weld-up and resize to the max 7". Is this the max size our stock swing arm will handle? Kosman wants to get involved in these forums because there seems to be a need for widening rims, which runs FAR less than the Sumo kit and allows us to run any rim we want. A 7" wide rim will allow a 240 tire, and with re-chroming the RC Savage wheel will run me about $1500 plus shipping. Still half price from the Sumo kit and allows for any option of wheel and fender.

But yeah, RC, what gives now offering 6.25" rear wheel sizes for the Fury when it wasn't an option before? I don't think .75" is anything to really split hairs over, but still scratching my head on this. I want a 7" wide Savage now. :)

#23 ·
yeah but that 6.25 inch rear rim is also only a 17 inch so it's not like it's an 18 inch like we have, with the prices of these aftermarket rims I would rather just chrome the OEM ones and save a bunch of money, yeah I know the aftermarket has a lot of bad ass styles but the price and trade off of not being the same size goes with that.

#26 ·
I asked on here a few months ago about who would the fury riders use for chrome wheels and the over all consences was Bike2NV so I called
Al and he put me on the list and when he got a set chromed he called. I sent him mine on Friday and the next Friday I had a set of chrome ones. I just could not justify 3,500 for wheels and rotors. The divorce would have cost more. So chroming the OEM was the way to go and I didn't have to buy new tires and got to keep the same little woman.;)

#28 ·
Sorry dreamweaver I cant answer your question.

I do agree with Sumo-X, the 250 tire handles perfectly. I have ridden my bike and Richards bike back to back. I did not notice any difference in handling.

I also went with Bikes2NV and chromed my stock wheels. It was the best bang for the buck plus I like the look of the stock wheels. If/when I upgrade to the Sumo kit, I will want a stock looking rear tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.